Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day four and five

I know I haven't posted in a couple of days. Things have been so crazy trying to actually get in the routin of teaching that I have been so backed up with figuring out lessons and understanding my students better. I know on Thursday we had a major issue that really tested my beliefs in teaching. I was worried about going to school on friday as in I didn't know how to respond to the students in the aftermath of Thursday. It actually turned out that Friday was the easiest day I have had so far. (Knock on wood) After that we had, what is considered to be a "honeymoon", of a day. Kids were listening and my host teacher and I actually could start planning my lessons that I will be teaching. Going to school today, I was actually excited to see what the students learning and to show them this amazing Live Octopus web cam. I was thinking they would actually be excited to see them move about and maybe they would actually learn something more about this animal. My host teacher is doing a test that takes about 45 minutes for one student and she has to complete 8 of them by friday. So when she was out of the room I would take over with their worksheet and when they would have that complete then they would be able to watch this video.That is alot easier said then done. The students would not even listen to anything I would say. Actually a student told me something today that I left me speechless for a moment. We were walking down the hallway because this would be the first day the students would be able to go through the salad bar! They were excited to start that process that they were bouncing off the wall. As they were walking into the commons area a student at the end of the line was refusing to move any farther (this is a student that is bd). As I walked over to them to talk to them to get them to move ahead, he was telling me not to take a step closer to him. Well of course that didn't stop me! So I moved forward and when I got to them I placed my hand on his shoulder, but it was in plain view, as in he saw me approaching him and I was standing in front so that this student would know what I was about to do. They looked at me and told me to "get my dirty hands off of them!" This was no joking matter. So I then got to down to their level, and told them that I was a teacher, which meant that I was to be treated with just as much of respect as everyone else. Then I took him to the BD room, this is a place for them to go when they act out and disrespect a teacher. Only a student that is BD can go to this room, it provides them with more of a one on one teaching that we aren't able to provide them in a normal classroom. I think that I was more shocked then anything at this time. I know they are young I just don't know how to gain their respect at such a young age when they are already missing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment